Jet Set Pet
Family Vacation Packages
Spa & Wellness Packages
Romantic & Honeymoon Packages
Fall Travel Packages
New Year's Travel
Beach & Island Resorts
5-Star City Hotels
Adventure & Eco Lodges
Boutique City Hotels
Country House Hotels
Safari Camps & Lodges
Golf Resorts & Lodges
Spa Resorts & Wellness Retreats
Ski Resorts & Lodges
Wine Country Getaways
Hot Hotel Openings
Cruises & Yachting
Private Jet Travel
Bars & Nightclubs
Wine & Spirits
Spa & Wellness Retreats
Beach and Resortwear
Beauty and Fragrance
Luggage and Handbags
Watches & Jewelry
Wine and Spirits
World's Most Expensive
9 Ways to Protect Everything You Own - From Everyone, Every Time
May 2, 2012
Consider -- the plaintiff may never even have to prove a thing; the prospect of spending hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal bills can scare a defendant into opting for a settlement without ever putting up a fight. Even if he did nothing wrong.
More than 100 million lawsuits are filed each year; one in three people will be sued in the next 12 months. No one is immune, but people with a lot of assets showing are especially vulnerable. If someone thinks you've got a lot to lose – and thus, they've got a lot to gain – you become a choice target. People who are less affluent are vulnerable in a different way: If a person with $100,000 in assets gets sued for $1 million, they'll be wiped out, whereas the person with $5 million can survive a $1 million lawsuit.
The time to protect your assets is before you get sued; it's much more enforceable, costs less and you'll have more options available.
Here are some tips to help guide you:
1. Inventory your wealth. Most people have a lot more than they think. Make sure to keep an inventory of telephone numbers, potential inheritances, non-liquid assets, valuable domain names, and any intellectual property. If in case you need help in monitoring your assets or answering a
trademark office action
, you can always seek the help of legal experts.
2. Convert non-exempt assets into exempt assets. State laws protect some personal assets from lawsuits and creditors. Those assets typically include your primary residence; personal items such as furniture and clothing; pensions and retirement funds; and life insurance. Find out the exemptions for your state and convert non-exempt assets (i.e. cash) into exempt assets (i.e. life insurance).
3. Protect every asset from every creditor. There's no point in protecting your money if your business is exposed. There's no point in protecting your business if your house is exposed. There's no point in protecting your house if your boat is exposed. Protect everything! Your asset protection plan should hold up whether your neighbor is suing you or the most powerful attorney downtown.
4. Don't rely solely on liability insurance. Buy as much insurance as you can; it's cheap and it helps you sleep at night. But realize that 70 percent of claims are not covered. Your coverage may be inadequate for a particular suit; your insurance company may go bankrupt. Having insurance and an asset protection plan is the belt and suspenders approach to hanging onto your pants.
5. Avoid fraudulent transfers. A fraudulent transfer occurs if your creditor doesn't get paid because you sold an asset to a person or entity for less than its fair market value when faced with a lawsuit. Such a transfer, done with the intent to hinder, delay, or defraud a creditor, can invalidate your entire asset protection plan.
6. Don't title your assets solely to your spouse or to “straw men.” They may have more financial problems than you.
7. Protect with liens. What is a $100,000 car worth if you owe $95,000? What is a $1 million house worth if you owe $950,000? Take out lines of credit. Record mortgages against your property. Make all of your assets valueless. Become an unattractive candidate for a lawsuit.
8. Transfer your assets to a protective entity. The key to asset protection is to own nothing while controlling everything. Transfer any non exempt assets out of your name to protective entities such as trusts, LLC's (limited liability companies), limited partnerships, etc.
9. Keep your plan up to date. Laws change every year. Have your plan reviewed yearly.
Hillel L. Presser, author of “Financial Self-Defense,” and a lawyer specializing in establishing comprehensive asset protection plans.
Sign-up for Our Email Newsletter
FIND A LUXURY HOTEL & BOOK WITH EXCLUSIVE PERKS!
Antigua & Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
Papua New Guinea
St Vincent & the Grenadines
St. Kitts & Nevis
Turks & Caicos
U.S. Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
Food & Wine
Shopping & Fashion
Spa & Wellness
Wineries / Wine Tasting
Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa - Rancho Santa Fe, California - One of the West’s most sought-after five star resorts
Blue Waters Resort & Spa - Antigua - A hidden gem nestled in a private bay on Antigua's northwestern coast with sunset views
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, Mexico - Adults Only, All Inclusive
Fiesta Americana Merida - This majestic hotel is located at the crossroads of the capital's main avenues: Paseo Montejo and Colón.
The Ranch Italy at Palazzo Fiuggi - The Ranch Malibu brings its award winning wellness program just 50 minutes from Rome.
Relais Christine - Paris, France - Relais & Chateaux - A secret, tranquil world in the heart of Paris' Left Bank
Hotel Saint James - Paris, France - Relais & Chateaux - The only chateau-hotel in Paris, an architectural jewel tucked away in the 16th.
Home in Italy: The Finest Collection of Luxury Villas Since 1994
VOYAGES MAGAZINE - Cruising the World in Style
Luxo Italia - Curated Luxury Travel in Italy
Argentario Golf & Wellness Resort - Porto Ercole, Tuscany, Italy
The Luxury of Simplicity in Japan: Exceptional Resorts in Tochigi’s Nikko Area
The Kayon Jungle Resort - Ubud, Bali, Indonesia - a sanctuary of tropical indulgence.
Hacienda AltaGracia, Auberge Resorts Collection - Costa Rica
A.M.A Selections - Luxury Villa Rentals throughout Europe
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Lakeside retreat 2-1/2 hours north of Toronto
Come Together Wellness - Rest, Restore & Explore on Kauai
JW Marriott Starr Pass Resort & Spa - Tucson, Arizona - Luxury Hotel with beautiful views
Red Savannah: Luxury Villas and Tailor-Made Holidays
JUP - Personal Service for Buying and Selling Real Estate in Jupiter, Florida
Dude Ranchers Association - An all-inclusive vacation experience like no other
Porto Zante Villas & Spa - Zakynthos, Greece - The leading villa resort in Europe