Jet Set Pet
Family Vacation Packages
Romantic & Honeymoon Packages
Spa & Wellness Packages
Hot Hotel Openings
Beach & Island Resorts
5-Star City Hotels
Adventure & Eco Lodges
Boutique City Hotels
Country House Hotels
Safari Camps & Lodges
Golf Resorts & Lodges
Spa Resorts & Wellness Retreats
Ski Resorts & Lodges
Wine Country Getaways
Cruises & Yachting
Private Jet Travel
Bars & Nightclubs
Spa & Wellness Retreats
Beach and Resortwear
Beauty and Fragrance
Luggage and Handbags
Watches & Jewelry
Wine and Spirits
World's Most Expensive
Exotic Voyages Launches 111-day Spiritual Journey Across Asia
December 8, 2016
Today, an Asia-based tour operator has connected the dots on the wellsprings of the continent's most insightful doctrines to create an all-encompassing pilgrimage.
The new package from Exotic Voyages,
The Razor's Edge: A Spiritual and Cultural Quest
is a once-in-a-lifetime 111-day journey spanning 13 countries across Asia and the Middle East. The expedition's name is inspired by W. Somerset Maugham's 1944 novel, where the protagonist travels overseas in search of a deeper meaning to his existence.
“The Razor's Edge isn't really an opportunity for a holiday so much as it is a chance to make a major pivot or a pause,” said Andrew Carroll, global head of sales and marketing at Exotic Voyages. “It's the kind of journey you might just quit your job for.”
For those who want to retain that job, Exotic Voyages is also parceling out smaller segments. The package can be broken into multiple trips, taken over the course of a few years, or customized into a shorter tour based on the client's interests and available time.
The full itinerary covers: Oman, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, China, Korea, and Japan. In each destination a local guide leads guests to locations of cultural significance as well as spiritual destinations where guests can learn about and immerse themselves in the practices.
Some spiritual highlights include:
● In Thailand guests stay at Plum Village, a monastery founded by Zen Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, where they learn mindfulness meditation and take part in dharma talks.
● In China the intrepid trek with a caravan of horses deep into the Himalayas from Shangri-La (as described in the 1933 novel Lost Horizon) to the gates of Tibet.
● In Ritigala, a Buddhist monastery and sacred mountain in Sri Lanka, visitors learn about the country's martial art Angampora through a show.
● A highlight from the Bhutan component is a visit to Paro Taktsang (Tiger's Nest Monastery), one of the country's holiest and most spectacularly positioned sites - having been built into a remote cliff face overlooking dense forest.
● In Japan guests visit a shinto shrine on the island of Itsukushima to see one of the country's most iconic torii gates, which appears to be floating on the water.
● Forest bathing, a term encompassing the health benefits of immersing oneself is nature, is heightened at Mt Gyejok, South Korea, as visitors go barefoot along a 14-kilometer red clay trail through the pines.
● In Laos travelers take part in a Baci Ceremony, a Buddhist ceremony not normally offered to tourists that is believed to provide health and protection.
In addition to each destinations spiritual highlights the tour covers noteworthy cultural sites. For example:
● In Oman guests experience nomadic Bedouin life with a tented-stay in the Wahiba Sands desert.
● One of the most spectacular declarations of both love and Muslim architecture, the Taj Mahal in Agra, is one of the many holy sites visited in India.
● In Myanmar sightseeing gets active with bike tours of both Bagan, with its thousands of temples, and Mandalay, the country's cultural hub.
● One of the world's most well-known archaeological sites, Angkor Wat, and its many surrounding temples form the core of the Cambodia component.
● In Vietnam travelers are escorted from the south to the north with the itinerary including the former capital Hue and the Tu Hieu Pagoda within it, where Thich Nhat Hanh spent his boyhood.
The length of stay in each country ranges from three nights in such destinations as Cambodia and Laos, through to a 16-night multi-city/town tour through China. Each part can be taken on its own or combined with other parts of the itinerary to create a fully customized journey. Prices vary depending on options chosen but for those who partake in the full odyssey rates begin at USD $48,000 (exclusive of international airfares).
Sign-up for Our Email Newsletter
FIND A LUXURY HOTEL & BOOK WITH EXCLUSIVE PERKS!
Antigua & Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
Papua New Guinea
St Vincent & the Grenadines
St. Kitts & Nevis
Turks & Caicos
U.S. Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
Food & Wine
Shopping & Fashion
Spa & Wellness
Wineries / Wine Tasting
Polaris Slingshot - A three-wheeled sensation that re-ignites your love for driving
JUP - Personal Service for Buying and Selling Real Estate in Jupiter, Florida
Villa Lala — Romantic Boutique Hotel in Puerto Vallarta
Culture, Spirituality, and Wellness in Japan's Tochigi Prefecture
Tuscan Dream - Immerse Yourself in the Tuscan Villa Vacation Experience
Blue Waters Resort & Spa - Antigua - A hidden gem nestled in a private bay on Antigua's northwestern coast with sunset views
Grand Hotel Portovenere - Cinque Terre - Discover this beautiful region of Italy!
Live Aqua Beach Resort Cancun, Mexico - Adults Only, All Inclusive
Dude Ranchers Association - An all-inclusive vacation experience like no other
Luxo Italia - Curated Luxury Travel in Italy
Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa - Rancho Santa Fe, California - One of the West’s most sought-after five star resorts
The Ranch Italy at Palazzo Fiuggi - The Ranch Malibu brings its award winning wellness program just 50 minutes from Rome.
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa - Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii - Beachfront Resort
El Encanto, A Belmond Hotel - Santa Barbara, California - Experience timeless Californian glamor.
A.M.A Selections - Luxury Villa Rentals throughout Europe
Come Together Wellness - Rest, Restore & Explore on Kauai
Argentario Golf & Wellness Resort - Porto Ercole, Tuscany, Italy
The Kayon Jungle Resort - Ubud, Bali, Indonesia - a sanctuary of tropical indulgence.
Red Savannah: Luxury Villas and Tailor-Made Holidays
Porto Zante Villas & Spa - Zakynthos, Greece - The leading villa resort in Europe
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac - Quebec City, Canada - Breathtaking views of the St. Lawrence River and the UNESCO Old fortified city