In keeping with its “gypset” style [a combination of gypsy and jet-set which describes a lifestyle that blends the vibrant free-spirited life of the gypsy and the speed and opulence of jetsetters] the private-island resort has created over 50 activities, which is in addition to eight restaurants and bars and an active childrens’ club. All this in a five-star setting and some of the longest and widest beaches in the country. Room rates in December start at US $866 per night for two adults staying in a Beach Bungalow.
Designed for guests who want to be free, unconventional, and in the moment; activities vary from castaway picnics on a deserted islands – Kanuhura has two such islands that are exclusively for the use of its guests – to Maldivian warrior workouts, piloxing and outdoor cinema under the stars. All have been created for the playful guest who demands both luxury and style that matches their bohemian lifestyle and modern sophistication.
Turning convention on its head, activities at Kanuhura have a free-spirited appeal. For example, every guest has their own bicycle to explore the island, which at 1.4km is one of the largest in the Maldives, while the boxing ring is set on the beach and has an inspiring lagoon view. Two beachfront bars offer a full range of tropical tipples by resident mixologists, but the individualist mix-it-yourself traveler is also welcome to create their own concoctions under a teepee on the beach. World-travelers who want to learn how the locals used to stay fit, can sweat it out during a Maldivian warrior workout inspired by the traditions of the Maldives before the invention of gyms and air-conditioning. In addition to a visit to the gym, tennis or squash courts, those who want to work out in the heart of Mother Nature can enjoy a full body workout by stand-up paddle boarding across the resort’s lagoon or joining the resident personal trainer for an early morning jog around the island. A full range of watersports activities, fishing, snorkeling and diving are on hand for water babies.
At Kanuhura it’s not only about physical exercise, however: peaceful moments are a daily option with complimentary meditation and yoga classes led by the resident yogi and a full range of further yoga classes for all levels.
Foodies are well catered for with a choice of eight restaurants and bars around the island. An absolute must-do is a visit to Drift, a café-grill on a deserted island adjoining Kanuhura reached by a five-minute boat ride. Here tables and chairs are adrift on the beach under shady palm trees while hermit crabs, rabbits, hens and their chicks wander through the untamed jungle-like interior of the tiny island. This is a true Robinson Crusoe style escape that’s a million miles from the stresses of everyday life.
Activities at Kanuhura Maldives:
1. Castaway picnic on a deserted island
2. Two private deserted islands for day visits, snorkeling, exploring.
3. “Gypset” sunset drinks in teepee on the beach
4. Maldivian warrior workout
5. Piloxing – (Pilates and boxing)
6. Functional fitness classes
7. Outdoor cinema under the stars
8. Nature walk around the island
9. Coconut tree climbing show
10. Visit to Kanuhura’s orchid gardens
11. Dolphin & manta safaris by speed boat
12. Visit to a local Maldivian village to see island life and the turtle sanctuary
13. Traditional Maldivian hand line fishing
14. Fly fishing
15. Big game fishing
16. Beach boot camp
17. Magical sunset cruise
18. Private boat hire
19. Jet skis and jet-lev flyer
20. Stand up paddle boarding (SUP)
23. Wake boarding, mono-skiing and waterskiing
24. Catamaran sailing
25. Banana boat and fun tubes
26. Morning jogging
28. Personal fitness training
29. Circuit training
30. Kick boxing
31. Beach boxing
32. Beach Zumba
33. Aqua fitness
36. Swimming in the lagoon
37. Snorkeling excursions to coral reefs
38. Diving to over 40 incredible dive sites
39. Turtle hatching on Kanuhura’s beaches - seasonal
40. Tennis and tennis coaching
42. Hermit crab racing
43. Cooking classes
44. Wine tasting sessions with sommelier
45. Whisky tasting
46. Coffee and chocolate mixology
47. Full moon dinner on the beach
48. “Dig In” dining on the beach
49. Picnics – ‘grab and go’ from The Deli
50. Spa - one of the widest choices of treatments in the country
51. Sauna, jet & plunge pool, steam room
52. Hair & beauty salon
53. Wedding ceremonies
54. Indoor games room (pool table, table tennis, table soccer, darts, board games, video games, card games)
55. Eating well: eight restaurants and bars
56. Kids’ club with daily activities program
About Kanuhura Maldives: Set across three islands – two deserted islands and Kanuhura itself – the celebrated resort reopened in December 2016 after an 18-month full renovation, winning recognition from Conde Nast Traveller as one of the world's top hotel renovations. Inge Moore of the London-based luxury hospitality studio Muza Lab in collaboration with Hirsch Bedner Associates redesigned the private island resort as a paradise for the world’s free-spirited jetsetters. One of the largest islands in the Maldives at 1.4km in length, Kanuhura has only 80 thatched-roof villas scattered throughout its untamed tropical interior and on stilts over the requisite turquoise lagoon. Kilometers of unspoilt beaches slope gently into the warm ocean while the two deserted islands are reached by a picturesque 5-minute boat trip. Eight restaurants and bars offer a world of dining, including the not-to-be-missed Chef’s Herb Garden where candlelit dégustation dinners are served in the heart of the herb garden. Kokaa Spa has one of the largest treatment menus in the country and has won two awards: ‘Best Spa in the World 2017’ by National Geographic Traveller and ‘Luxury Island Resort Spa’ by the Luxury Spa Awards 2017. Kanuhura Maldives is a member of Leading Hotels of the World.
About Sun Resorts: Sun Resorts is part of the Sun Limited 'Hotel Management' Cluster. It owns and manages 4 hotels in Mauritius (La Pirogue Resort & Spa, Sugar Beach Resort & Spa, Long Beach Golf & Spa Resort, Ambre Resort & Spa) and the iconic Ile aux Cerfs a leisure island on which is nestled a championship golf course designed by Bernhard Langer. In the Maldives, Sun owns and operates Kanuhura Maldives, a member of Leading Hotels of the World luxury collection.
Visit website: www.kanuhura.com