Destination Hotels' recently teamed up with Tesla Motors
to develop a program and commitment to practices that lessen its carbon footprint, joining a rapidly growing network of resorts in Tesla's Destination Charging program. Some fun ways the properties are participating in Earth Day this year consist of:
- Terranea Resort, A Destination Hotel in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA invites guests and locals to celebrate the beauty and the bounty of the Earth with an assortment of eco-focused workshops, guided excursions and feasts. Along with the bi-monthly Chef's Table Dinner Series and monthly Full Moon Yoga, guests and locals can help mark the first anniversary of Terranea's Sea Salt Conservatory with a signature Sunset Ritual and ONEHOPE Wine tasting. The resort honors its unparalleled coastal landscape and natural environment with a Full Moon Yoga Gathering Benefiting Palos Verdes Peninsula Land Conservancy, Chef's Table Dinner Series, Guided Nature Walk, LA. Waterkeeper Kelp Restoration Workshop, Falconry Workshop, Marine Mammal Care Center Workshop, Painting & Planting with Art To Grow On, Sea Salt Conservatory Celebration with Sunset Ritual and ONEHOPE Wine Tasting.
- Quirk Hotel, A Destination Hotel in Richmond, VA joins in on the Earth Day festivities by planting flowers at the base of the trees on the main avenue of Richmond, for all to enjoy. Additionally, the hotel will update its Jefferson street planters, install Chef's herb garden on the roof and participate in a community neighborhood cleanup.
- La Cantera Hill Country Resort, A Destination Hotel in San Antonio, TX will be planting fruit trees on the property to develop the property's soon-to-be vegetable/herb garden.
- Paradise Point, A Destination Hotel in San Diego, CA is launching Eco Alley on Earth Day. Eco Alley is an entire street dedicated to the work of sustainability where you can watch teams sort recyclables and compost. It is a working environment housing with various recycling and composting stations, electric cart charging and employee bike racks. Plans to implement hydroponic growing stations are also in development for 2016. As one of the top green hotels in San Diego, Paradise Point implements various eco-friendly and sustainable hotel practices year-round including a partnership with Bottles & Wood, a local San Diego custom design and production company for glassware and décor, to create unique, recycled signage for the area. These sustainable practices are ingrained in the culture of “Paradise Life,” an eco-lifestyle adopted by all employees to protect and preserve the island environment.
- Hotel Derek, A Destination Hotel in Houston, TX continues its tradition to get every guest involved in Earth Day. Upon checking in, beginning Thursday, April 21through Friday, April 22, each guest will receive a Texas shaped paper, which will bloom into a Texas wild flower garden. Additionally, the property will be featuring a farm to table menu to include local Texas wine specials in our Revolve Restaurant and Bar. Hotel Derek will also hold an all associate town hall with a farm to table menu, challenging associates to plant the provided assortment of seed packet gifts. For associates who bring in recyclable goods that they may have otherwise thrown away, they will be receiving a raffle ticket and entered to win one of two $50 Target gift card.
- Wild Dunes Resort, A Destination Hotel in Isle of Palms, SC will begin Earth Day festivities on April 18 through April 23. The property will be doing a Beach Sweep to clean up the beautiful SC coastline and Bike to Work Day, where employees will meet at the grocery store on the islands and bike into Wild Dunes, also enacting Biking Wednesday around the entire resort. Additionally, Wild Dunes Resort is promoting fun and easy green activities throughout the week such as printing double sided, bringing your own cup to work day, lights out day, etc. to get stir awareness about small changes to daily routine. On Earth Day itself, the property will plant a native tree on property.
- The Carolina Inn, A Destination Hotel in Chapel Hill, NC is celebrating Earth Day by holding a Book Drive benefit at the property's local library, A Hazardous Household Waste collection, where staff can bring in unused/out of date cleaning chemicals, cooking oil, batteries, etc. for safe disposal at local waste management facility, and hotel guests will receive a packet of local Wild flower Seeds on the night of the 22nd for turn down.
- L'Auberge Del Mar, A Destination Hotel in Del Mar, CA is paying homage to nature's bounty by L'Auberge Del Mar's Executive Chef Nathan Lingle and his team presenting a special farm-to-table five course dinner paired with wines to be served on KITCHEN 1540's patio on Earth Day, Friday, April 22. Further emphasizing everyone can take part in helping Planet Earth, L'Auberge Del Mar, A Destination Hotel, is “turning down the power” in the evening and hopes guests will do the same. During the month of April, Spa L'Auberge is featuring earth/ocean-friendly spa specials. And guests, locals and employees are invited to join the fun at the resort's 4th Annual Earth Day Paddle Out.