InsideAsia Tours offer distinctive, food-focused itineraries to Japan and select destinations in Southeast Asia for culinary-adventurous travelers. From the Michelin-starred restaurants of Japan to the lesser-known cuisines of Cambodia and Laos, the award-winning tour operator and Asia destination specialist provides unparalleled access to Insider Experiences and destination knowledge. Whether embarking on a Self-Guided Adventure, Small-Group Tour, or Fully Tailored Journey, InsideJapan Tours and InsideAsia Tours' curated itineraries spotlight top food-focused experiences in Asia worth planning a trip around.
Kaiseki Haute Cuisine
Japanese cuisine, or washoku, is one of only two cuisines on the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage list, and Tokyo has been awarded more Michelin stars than any other city in the world. From top restaurants, backstreet noodle bars, and traditional izakaya, to exotic dining experiences and hands-on cooking classes, InsideJapan Tours' expert "Insiders" will lead travelers on a culinary adventure of a lifetime across this food lovers' paradise.
- InsideJapan Tours' Self-Guided Gastronomic Adventure is a delicious journey to explore the best food and culture hotspots across Japan. From the buzz and bustle of Tokyo and Osaka, to rural mountain towns, to historical Kyoto and the serenity of Mount Koya, highlights of this itinerary include an izakaya night with an Insider guide, rolling your own sushi in Kyoto, learning the art of soba noodle making in Matsumoto, taking a street food tour in Osaka, discovering Buddhist shojin ryori cuisine at Mount Koya, and experiencing the virtuosity of a delicious kaiseki dinner. Rates for this itinerary start at US $3,631 per person (twin share) for 13 nights.
- Insider Experience - Become a kaiseki haute cuisine pro under the instruction of a top Tokyo chef. A must for true foodies, InsideJapan Tours is proud to offer a hands-on Japanese cooking lesson with one of Tokyo's top chefs in an exclusive, Michelin-starred restaurant. In the restaurant's kitchen, the chef and his interpreter will explain the rich culture behind Japanese cuisine and demonstrate how to prepare various dishes. Learn how to use and prepare dashi (a special stock) and miso (soybean paste), which act as bases in kaiseki haute cuisine. You will also learn the finer points of Japanese table etiquette in order to better appreciate the food's aesthetics, aroma, and connection to the seasons. *This experience can only be included as a part of a full Japan holiday package which includes accommodation and transport.
Experience authentic food being artfully cooked in Cambodia
Cambodian cuisine is one of the most overlooked of all Asian food and is largely unknown elsewhere in the world. The Kingdom's savory dishes, fresh ingredients, and tempting aromas, from its street food to traditional royal Khmer recipes, reflect the rich history and culture of the country. Discover the flavors of Cambodia with InsideAsia Tours' exclusive itineraries and Insider experiences.
- InsideAsia Tours' Culinary CambodiaFully Tailored Journey reveals the secrets behind traditional Khmer cuisine, sampling fine dining and local street food each step of the way from local chefs and village communities. Discover traditional Cambodian flavors from the famed Angkorian temples of Siem Reap to the idyllic coastal town of Kep. Explore the destination's iconic sites including UNESCO World Heritage Temples of Angkor and renowned snorkeling in the clear coastal waters off a deserted island. Enjoy afternoon tea at the legendary Raffles Le Royal, dive deep into Khmer cuisine with a cooking class in a local village, and cycle through the rural villages of Battambang visiting local cottage industries. Finally, indulge in the simple delicacy of beach-barbequed crab. Rates for this itinerary start at $3,402 per person (twin share) for 11 nights.
- Insider Experience - Uncover the gastronomic delights of Cambodia by candlelight at a traditional countryside villa. Just west of the ancient city of Angkor Thom, Villa Chandara is truly something special. You will arrive by boat across an ancient baray (reservoir) and welcomed with a glass of champagne. Surrounded by rice paddies, and hidden from other tourists, take a walk along the terraces or find a private spot for a sunset cocktail amidst landscaped spice gardens. As the daylight fades, enjoy Khmer fine dining by candlelight while local villagers play traditional music as a backdrop. *This can only be included as part of a full Indochina holiday package which includes your accommodation and transport.
Enjoy traditional Lao cuisine on board a sunset dinner cruise along the Mekong
Similar to the food of Thailand and Vietnam, Lao cuisine boasts many different flavors and relies heavily on fresh and local produce, creating many regional variations depending on what is available. With the help of InsideAsia Tours destination experts, uncover Laos' exotic culinary flavors, traditions, and delicacies and see what makes Laos unique from its more famous neighbors.
- InsideAsia Tours' Flavors of Laos Fully Tailored Journey introduces travelers to many of the country's best culinary offerings and an array of hands-on and food-focused experiences. Dine with locals at a Sin Dat (Lao BBQ) dinner, explore the ancient streets of Luang Prabang sampling a variety of traditional street food, learn the secrets of Lao cuisine with a hands-on cooking class, and enjoy home cooked dinners and fine dining restaurants. Experience a local homestay on a coffee plantation, take in the UNESCO World Heritage Site Wat Phou, and participate in a day at a local organic farm. As a special highlight, you will have the opportunity to indulge in Laos' first Michelin star experience with dinner at Paste. Rates for this itinerary start at $3,422 per person (twin share) for 9 Nights.
- Insider Experience - Sunset dinner cruise along the Mekong aboard a traditional riverboat. Peaceful rural scenes open up before you as you leave Luang Prabang behind, and as you float along you'll enjoy the spectacular display of colors watching the sun set over the Mekong and surrounding mountains. Later, your boat will moor for dinner, and a selection of typical Lao dishes will be served on board accompanied by a live band and traditional dancers. This is a wonderfully laid-back way to spend an evening in Laos, and you're sure to enjoy the beautiful scenery and delicious food on offer. *This can only be included as part of a full Indochina holiday package which includes your accommodation and transport.
For additional information on InsideAsia Tours, visit https://www.insideasiatours.com/.
For additional information on InsideJapan Tours, visit https://www.insidejapantours.com/.