Hurtigruten, the world’s largest expedition cruise operator, will take the guest experience to new heights, literally, aboard the first hybrid electric-powered expedition cruise ship, MS Roald Amundsen, with the largest LED screen at sea. Spanning seven decks and 57 feet in height, this floating screen will be located in the ship’s atrium. Facing three, all-glass elevators and towering up to deck 10, the screen features cutting edge LED technology and provides a resolution beyond 4K Ultra-HD, with a perfectly seamless and borderless display.
“Our focus on state-of-the-art design, innovation, and technology is not limited to the exterior of our ships. It includes the interior experience and will take the guests on a larger-than-life visual journey. By introducing the tallest LED screen at sea, we will bring—and magnify—the splendid beauty of the passing nature, directly to the guests inside,” says Hurtigruten CEO Daniel Skjeldam.
The screen will broadcast scenes around the ship, images of upcoming destinations, views of pristine waters, and helpful passenger information. “With stunning image quality, the technology offers endless possibilities: We can use it to stream live lectures and presentations, to set the theme for the voyage, or to simply create a special atmosphere. But most importantly, it will be utilized to broadcast the spectacular nature to our guests in a format never seen before on board,” Skjeldam says.
Additional information and details about the tallest LED screen at sea include:
- Customized backdrops from stunning landscapes
- Live coverage from outside the ship
- 360 degree ultra-high resolution panoramic images from the mast
- Live lectures and presentations from various onboard venues
- High fidelity sound which “follows” the picture
Atrium LED screen experience:
- Display type: Seamless, high-resolution SMD LED wall
- Height: 57 feet
- Width: 21.3 feet
- Total screen area: 1,227 square feet
- Resolution: 6720 x 2496 pixels (more than Ultra HD 4K)
- Pixel density (pitch): 2.6 mm
- Light output: 1,000 nits (or almost 3,500 Ansi Lumen)
- Manufacturer: Expromo
Hurtigruten has 125 years of know-how and provides immersive experiences to some of the world’s most pristine and remote destinations, including Antarctica, Alaska, Arctic Canada and the Northwest Passage, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Svalbard, and more.