Hardy and his daughter decided to transform that property into a truly spectacular resort destination. In 2002, Hardy transferred ownership of the property, called Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, to that daughter, Maggie Hardy Magerko, who now serves as its president and owner. And today, it's a 2,000-acre paradise that offers five different lodging options, 15 dining venues and more than 70 activities (yes, that includes fishing!). The resort is regularly honored with industry awards and has become one of the top places in the Mid-Atlantic for memorable getaways and special events.
Throughout this year, the Hardys and Nemacolin's 1,200 associates will acknowledge the anniversary with special events, décor and activities aimed at delighting guests and keeping them coming back for more.
To launch Nemacolin's 30th anniversary, we'd like to share a few reasons to visit … one for each year that the resort has been owned by the Hardys. For more details about Nemacolin or to book a stay – perhaps for a 30th birthday or anniversary – visit www.nemacolin.com or call 866.399.6957.
- Nemacolin offers its guests unmatchable luxury without pretense. You feel spoiled … but always comfortable.
- Nemacolin is the gem of the Pennsylvania Laurel Highlands, a three-county area of the Allegheny Mountains that's located about an hour east of Pittsburgh.
- This is truly a year-round destination, offering more than 7o amenities on its 2,000 acres.
- The resort is incredibly family-friendly, with a full arcade, mini golf course, bowling alley, game room, pool and even a spa exclusively for guests 5 to 14 years old.
- It also makes a great romantic getaway. In 2016 Nemacolin was the setting for two episodes of ABC's The Bachelorette.
- Though it's a huge property with diverse opportunities, it's not hard to get around. Complimentary shuttles run throughout the property, efficiently delivering guests to every activity, meal and accommodation.
- You can fly into Nemacolin, as long as you or someone you know is a pilot … or you hire one. A 3,900-foot air strip has been a part of Nemacolin since its earliest days.
- There are five different types of accommodations on property, ranging from a boutique hotel to private vacation homes that can host more than 20 guests.
- That boutique hotel, Falling Rock, was inspired by the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, who designed several homes in the area. Among these is one of his most famous, Fallingwater.
- Each guest at Falling Rock is assigned a butler, who can assist with everything from unpacking bags to delivering milk and cookies each night, to drawing a bath in the room's 200-gallon tub.
- For a truly over-the-top experience, guests can book the resort's Presidential Suite, which is located on the fifth floor of the Chateau Lafayette. It was recently renovated at a cost of $1 million, and every guest need was anticipated. Stays here also include a butler.
- The Woodlands Spa takes relaxation to the next level. Among the dozens of treatments guests can select is one unique to Nemacolin, the Dream Catcher Massage, which blends Native American healing techniques with Hawaiian Lomi Lomi massage.
- The Holistic Healing Center was developed to help guests achieve balance in their lives and focus on physical, mental and emotional well-being. The center offers wellness retreats, workshops and classes throughout the year.
- Guests can visit Nemacolin's Holistic Garden and watch the resort's chefs select ingredients they'll use at their restaurants.
- With 15 dining options spread throughout the resort, there's plenty of variety and a range of prices and culinary styles.
- Lautrec is one of just 27 dining venues in the entire world to boast AAA Five-Diamonds (since 2007) and Forbes Five-Stars (since 2009), and Kristin Butterworth is the world's only female chef to helm one of these “dual-distinction” restaurants.
- Nemacolin has the largest public wine cellar in the state of Pennsylvania, offering guests more than 21,000 bottles.
- The resort is home to more than 100 animal residents, and its Wildlife Academy provides some of Nemacolin's most popular activities, giving guests the chance to participate in interactive safari tours, walk through the nursery to see smaller and baby animals, or take a horseback ride.
- This is a place where even a dog or cat can get away from it all. Nemacolin Wooflands Pet Resort & Spa is located right on site and welcomes furry guests of all varieties. Select resort two-bedroom townhomes are also pet-friendly … and have the bonus of overlooking the homes of many of Nemacolin's own animal residents.
- There's an on-site team of 24 sled dogs who interact with guests all year round, either on traditional snow sled rides or running “Jamaican-style” in the warmer months.
- The Hardy family has made its $45 million art collection, including pieces by Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Tiffany Studios and a segment of the Berlin Wall, incredibly accessible to guests. Visitors are invited to learn more about the collection on complimentary Art Tours offered Sunday through Friday, or during an exclusive Curator's Tour on Saturdays.
- Mystic Rock, the Pete Dye-designed signature course, is rated the top Pennsylvania course for the public to play by Golfweek and was home of the 84 Lumber Classic, a PGA Tour stop from 2003 to 2006.
- In July 2017, the resort will open its second course designed by Pete Dye, Shepherd's Rock. The layout is expected to rival the highest rated courses in the country.
- At the Nemacolin Golf Academy, individuals, golf buddies and corporate groups can get a unique blend of golf instruction and club fitting to ensure everyone is playing at his or her best.
- Drivers who want a taste of off-road adventure can train at the Jeep Off-Road Driving Academy and then explore 20 miles of rugged hills, woods and streams.
- At Nemacolin's Shooting Academy, guests can take aim at sporting clays at 35 different stations. First-timers get expert coaching that ensures they'll get some hits … and want to come back for more.
- The Fatbird SuperFlyer, a 3,000-foot dueling zipline, is one of the best ways to experience the Laurel Highlands' fall foliage.
- Here's a resort that has everything … including its own mountain. In the winter months, Mystic Mountain is home to seven slopes for skiing and snowboarding.
- Open to guests and the general public, Lady Luck Casino Nemacolin boasts more than 600 slot machines and 29 table games.
- There's more than 32,000 square feet of meeting and event space at the resort, making it a great choice for business as well as pleasure. And there really is no better place to host a wedding than Nemacolin, which has its own event-planning division. Couples can work with the resort's ThemeWorks department to create a one-of-a-kind and very memorable event.
ABOUT NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS RESORT
Nemacolin is one of North America's premier luxury resort destinations. Situated on nearly 2,000 acres in Farmington, Pennsylvania, Nemacolin features 320 luxurious guestrooms, suites, townhouses and private upscale homes. The resort offers championship golf, including the Pete Dye-designed Mystic Rock golf course. In July 2017, the property will open Shepherd's Rock, its second Dye-designed signature course. Outdoor enthusiasts can enjoy the Shooting Academy; Wildlife Academy that features everything from safari tours to dog sledding; Adventure Center, complete with zip lines and climbing wall; and Jeep Off-Road Driving Academy. Guests can test their luck at our Lady Luck Casino Nemacolin, featuring approximately 600 slots and 28 table games. Nemacolin also boasts an internationally acclaimed spa collection and 15 restaurants and lounges, including Lautrec, a Forbes Five Star and AAA Five Diamond restaurant experience. For meetings and events, Nemacolin's 32,000 square feet of conference space includes three ballrooms, a lecture hall and 25 meeting rooms. Gambling problem? Call 1-800-GAMBLER.