Westfield's 16,100-square-foot dining and retail collection will introduce 20 new destinations to Terminal 2, including eight new airport firsts. Westfield's collection is projected to increase sales by over 35 percent. The redevelopment will take place while the terminal continues to serve travelers and is expected to be completed in 2015 with new retail, dining, and amenities phasing in incrementally to provide more immediate enhancements to the terminal.
"The Terminal 2 vision is to create a radically new environment that is tailor-made for and uniquely suited to the terminal's travelers and its carriers,” said Dominic Lowe, Executive Vice President, Westfield. “As LAX forges ahead with a multibillion dollar modernization, Westfield takes great pride in helping LAWA realize its vision of transforming this airport into an iconic L.A. landmark for both local residents and travelers around the globe, one terminal at a time.”
Design Takes Cues from “LA in Motion”
Inspired by the theme “LA in Motion,” Westfield's Terminal 2 design vision will reflect the energy and echo the innovative, modern and always 'on-the-go' culture of Los Angeles. With three distinct districts, the traveler journey begins after crossing the TSA checkpoint with a meandering Commercial Hub that connects to a Dining Terrace with several unique destinations, textured surfaces and lounge-style seating. The journey continues with The Strand, an open, flowing dining and shopping district with a grand, flowing staircase leading to a mezzanine with café that overlooks the terminal below. Constructed in 1962 as LAX's original international terminal, Terminal 2 was demolished and rebuilt in 1988. Comprised of 11 aircraft gates, Terminal 2 is home to 10 domestic and international airlines, including Aeroméxico, Air Canada, Hawaiian Air and Virgin Atlantic. In 2013, Terminal 2 served more than 5.5 million travelers.
Double the Dining and Retail Destinations
The new Terminal 2 dining collection includes 12 options – double the existing program – curated by Westfield that bring global flavors together for a traveler-friendly mix of healthy and fresh sit-down, casual dining, and grab-and-go. With twice the shopping options at nine retail destinations, travelers can look forward to an enhanced offering of travel essentials and specialty retail.
- Experience SeaLegs Wine Bar upholding the highest standards in its selection of great wines, paired with the art of gourmet California share plates with exceptional flavors in an environment that is infused with beauty;
- Savor “boat-to-plate” American seafood at the fast-casual SLAPFISH Modern Seafood Shack;
- Slice into made-from-scratch happiness at The Pie Hole, with great pie and coffee sourced from high quality ingredients;
- Taste modern cantina flavors at Pepita Cantina; a Los Angeles based concept created by Top Chef Mike Isabella;
- Enjoy flavorful Chinese cuisine “wok'd to order” at Pick Up Stix;
- Delight in a simple recipe of handmade dough and the finest mozzarella at Fresh Brothers Pizza;
- Grab organic sandwiches, salads and more with an Italian flair at Ciabatta Bar;
- Craft their own signature burger at Los Angeles-based BUILT Custom Burgers;
- Dine in L.A. history at Barney's Beanery, a classic American roadhouse modeled after Route 66;
- Sip on the world's best known coffees at (2) Starbucks;
- Discover a full range of body-shaping innovations at international phenomenon SPANX;
- Shop travel essentials at (2) CNBC shops; or products targeted to the Hispanic traveler base at (2) Univision shops;
- Find the latest in electronics and cutting-edge technology on-the-go at eSavvy, and a first-ever “Beats Bar” at InMotion Entertainment;
Westfield's operating partners at Terminal 2 are Crews (formerly Crews of California), HMSHost, InMotion Entertainment Group, LLC, Jackmont Hospitality/Atlanta Restaurant Partners, and Paradies. The duty-free operator at Terminal 2 is DFS.
The gate areas will be enhanced with lounge style seating and abundant charging stations, including USB ports. Additional upgrades include decorative screens, new restrooms, terrazzo flooring, new lighting and lounge-style seating throughout.
Terminal 2's transformation comes on the heels of the new Tom Bradley International Terminal (TBIT), which debuted to the public in 2013 and is the centerpiece of LAX's multibillion dollar modernization program. TBIT features 58 premier dining and luxury retail shops, world-class amenities and cutting-edge iconic design. Phase II of the project, currently underway, includes overhauls of the Departures and Arrivals areas – featuring new dining, retail, design and amenities by Westfield – as well as demolition of the terminal's existing east side gates. This summer, Westfield unveiled its design vision for Terminal 6, inspired by Los Angeles' famed Sunset Boulevard.
For more information about Terminal 2 or Westfield's role in the transformation of LAX, visit www.WestfieldatLAX.com. Westfield LAX is part of the Westfield Travel Collection.