Omni Mount Washington Resort, located at the base of Mount Washington and surrounded by nearly 800,000 acres of the White Mountain National Forest, is celebrating its 120th anniversary this summer by paying homage to its roots of being a summer retreat since the early 1900s.
Opened in July 1902 by New Hampshire native Joseph Stickney and the most luxurious hotel of its day, the hotel catered to wealthy guests from Boston, New York and Philadelphia, where as many as 50 trains a day stopped at Bretton Woods' three railroad stations. A grand masterpiece of Spanish Renaissance architecture, the property is only a two-three hour drive from Boston, Montreal, Burlington, Portland and Providence and a five-six hour drive from New York and Connecticut.
In honor of its anniversary in July, the resort will be offering a variety of new and returning summer programming. Highlights include a new PGA Jr. League program, plus free golf for dads on Father’s Day and free golf with cart and club rentals for kids in July. Additional activities include scenic rides on the Skyway Gondola, a year-round canopy tour, a 25,000 square foot spa, mountain biking, fly fishing in the Ammonoosuc River, hiking, tennis on red clay courts, disc golf, giant games of checkers or chess and more. The resort is also offering an Omni Hotels & Resorts brand-wide package, centered around the resort’s year-round indoor and outdoor pools.
Golf: Omni Mount Washington Resort offers two golf courses – the award-winning Donald Ross-designed 18-hole “Mount Washington Course” and the challenging 9-hole “Mount Pleasant Course”. Meticulously restored to Ross’ original 1915 design, the 18-hole Mount Washington Course reopened in August 2008 and has been a host to prominent golf enthusiasts over the years including U.S. Pro Golfer Gilbert Nicholls; Golf Course Designer Alex Findlay; British Golf Champions Harry Vardon and J.W. Taylor; and U.S. Open Golf Champion Willie Anderson. The 9-hole Mount Pleasant Course, first opened in 1895 and resorted and upgraded by Cornish & Silva Golf Course Architects in 1989, is a par 35 running 3,215 yards alongside the Ammonoosuc River amid gorgeous mountain views. Lessons and clinics are available with a PGA Pro, and golfers can hone their skills on a practice green, bunker and driving range. Complementing the golf experience, the full-service Clubhouse features TreeTop golf shop and The Grille, serving up indoor and outdoor dining for lunch and libations.
Summer golf highlights include:
- Omni Hotels & Resorts is the official hotel of the PGA TOUR® and PGA TOUR Champions. This summer, Omni Mount Washington Resort is launching a brand-new PGA Jr. League program available from June 8-July 20, where children ages 8-17 can learn from a PGA golf professional and hone their skills. The program includes five personalized practices, six matches, two PGA Jr. League team jerseys, hat/visor, drawstring bag, bag tag and sticker.
- This Father’s Day, treat dad to a complimentary round of golf on the resort’s Donald Ross-designed golf course on Sunday, June 19 with the purchase of an accompanying full-price round of golf.
- For the entire month of July, all junior golfers, ages 15 & under, can play the Mount Pleasant Course for free. This includes cart, greens fee and junior rental clubs, and junior golfers must be accompanied by an adult.
- This season, the resort is also offering the PGA Tour Golf Package which includes one round of golf, unlimited use of the driving range, $100 resort credit and PGA TOUR branded hat and golf balls.
- For stays May 30-October 9, avid golfers can book the Mount Washington Unlimited Golf Package which includes unlimited daily golf from day of arrival through day of departure, including cart, available at either of the resort’s two golf courses.
Summer of Splash Package: For stays from May 20-September 29, Omni Mount Washington Resort will also offer the Omni-wide Splash of Summer Package available for guests to enjoy luxurious accommodations, $100 food & beverage credit per stay and an exclusive Summer of Water + Color Omni beach towel (one per stay). Every year, Omni Hotels & Resorts launches a “Summer Of” series, which recreates unique food & beverage options inspired by one of the country's most popular ingredients. This summer, Omni mixologists and chefs are turning their craft from culinary to artistry with vibrant ingredients and colorful poolside menus all season long #AtTheOmni.
Additional details surrounding other activities can be found here:
- Skyway Gondola: Having debuted for the 2019-2020 ski season, family adventure reaches new heights with New Hampshire’s first 8-passenger Gondola, which transports guests via a 12-minute scenic Gondola ride to the new 16,000 square-foot Rosebrook Lodge perched atop the slopes of Bretton Woods. Guest will enjoy panoramic views of the Presidential Mountain Range, where they can enjoy lunch or a snack at Rosebrook Lodge with endless mountain views.
- Canopy Tour: One of the longest canopy tours in New England, Bretton Woods Canopy Tour offers a thrilling year-round adventure for guests age 12 and over. Comprised of 9 zip lines, two sky bridges and three rappels through the forests of Bretton Woods, the three-hour guided tour takes guests 1000 feet in elevation from the top of Rosebrook Canyon to the base of Bretton Woods ski area. Private tours up to eight participants available.
- Spa: Heading indoors, guests are invited to indulge in a 25,000 square-foot mountain spa that brings the outdoors inside to treatment rooms with sweeping views of Mount Washington, the Presidential Range and Crawford Notch. The Spa features 13 treatment rooms, including five dedicated massage rooms, one couples room, three facial rooms, three multi-purpose rooms and one deluxe wet room with a Vichy shower, treatment tub with air jets and color therapy. Children age 9 and under are also invited to experience a kid-friendly Pedicake or Pirate Package in The Spa, including a pint-sized manicure and pedicure.
- Mountain Biking: Adventurers are encouraged to explore the resort on two wheels on the extensive Valley System. With both single and dual track, bikers of all abilities will enjoy wooded and open trails, great views and perhaps even some wildlife along the way. Bike rentals available or bring our own.
- Fly Fishing: Fly fishing is available at the Ammonoosuc River which runs right through the resort or at any of a number of local rivers and streams, including some of New Hampshire’s most pristine fly fishing destinations. Clinics, guided trips and fly and rod rentals are available to resort guests. New Hampshire fishing licenses are required, which may be purchased online in advance.
- Hiking: The resort is set amidst nearly 800,000 acres of White Mountain National Forest, offering guests the opportunity to enjoy some of the most popular scenic and renowned hikes in the White Mountains. A variety of walking trails surrounding the resort grounds are ideal for a casual stroll, or more adventurous guests can embark on a challenging trek up Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast. A wide variety of easy and moderate hikes are also easily accessible from the resort.
- Tennis: The original home of the Volvo International Tennis Tournament, the Omni Mount Washington Resort provides guests with superior red clay courts, which have welcomed greats like Arthur Ashe, Rod Laver and Bobby Riggs, along with a full-service pro shop. Private, group and junior lessons are available with the USPTA Certified Tennis Pro for beginners and advanced players, and the courts are open daily late May to early October.
- Disc Golf: Omni Mount Washington Resort is also offering disc golf this summer, which is played much like traditional golf, using flying discs on a 9-hole course set in the base area of the Bretton Woods Ski Area. This fun, recreational course has been designed for groups for up to four players, consisting of beginners and families with young children looking to get outside and try something new.
- Trail Rides & Carriage Rides: Make a new four-legged friend when you explore the resort on horseback or magical carriage ride. Daily trail rides, carriage rides and pony rides for younger guests available mid-May through mid-October.
- Family Fun: Enjoy family game night in the Great Hall, take a self-guided historic tour of this National Historic Landmark, or sit back and enjoy special presentations by visiting artists and lectures featuring giant puppets, wildlife exhibits and astronomy programs. Make a splash in the resort’s indoor and outdoor pools or test your gaming skills with the latest video games in the arcade. At the end of the day, guests can gather around the fire to make s’mores and share stories of their day.
Nearby Attractions: While there’s plenty at the resort to keep everyone engaged, Omni Mount Washington is also in close proximity to numerous attractions including the world-famous Mt. Washington Cog Railway. The nearby Crawford and Franconia Notches also offer abundant hiking opportunities, roadside waterfalls and historic sites.
- Accommodations: Family-friendly accommodations at the Omni Mount Washington include the popular Family Suites, comprised of multiple bedrooms with shared bath. Or for the ultimate treat, a Luxury Family Suite includes a king bedroom, plus two twin bedrooms and large separate living space complete with working fireplace. A variety of adjoining rooms are also available with advance arrangement, including those in the all-new Presidential Wing featuring a private balcony or patio in each guest room.
- Dining: Omni Mount Washington Resort offers several year-round dining options which selectively offer special children’s menus as part of Omni Hotels & Resorts’ recently launched Omni Junior Chefs multifaceted food and beverage program designed to elevate the dining experience for the hotel’s youngest guests. The hotel is home to the newly renovated Main Dining Room which offers an abundant New England inspired breakfast buffet and creative dinner cuisine, Stickney’s Restaurant & Pub which is located in the hotel’s former billiard room and offers casual lunch and dinner options with indoor and outdoor seating, The Cave which is a granite-walled nightclub dating back to the Prohibition era, The Rosebrook Bar which serves light fare just off the Great Hall, the new rooftop Observatory Bar featuring comfortable seating areas and more.
For more information or to reserve your summer getaway, visit omnihotels.com/mountwashington or call 800-843-6664. Select activities can be purchase in advanced online at brettonwoods.com. For more information on any of the above activities, please visit brettonwoods.com or call 603-278-3320.