Stellenbosch's verdant wine estates are popular choices for many bridal couples. There's nothing as romantic as getting married on a wine estate – just picture it: rolling green lawns, stunning sunsets, and a blushing bride and groom in white, with guests enjoying the award-winning vintages from the hosting vineyard. The gorgeous scenery adds lustre to any wedding day. From boutique wineries with off-site accommodation to 200-year old estates with rooms leading straight onto reception-ready patios, there is a breathtaking assortment of venues to choose from.
Four amazing Stellenbosch Winelands wedding venues:
- Spier – One of the oldest farms in the region, Spier dates back to 1692 and offers charming historic Cape Dutch architecture surrounded by beautiful gardens with centuries old trees. Spier's Eight restaurant serves mouth-watering cuisine and the farm to table menu changes seasonally, accompanied by the estate's signature wines. Guests can stay in the onsite award-winning Spier Hotel. (spier.co.za)
- Lanzerac Hotel & Spa – if it's a vintage nuptial celebration you're after, Lanzerac is the perfect choice. Set amidst dramatic mountain ranges, endless rows of lush vineyards and hectares of award-winning landscaped gardens, the estate offers a hotel with 48 rooms, various wining and dining areas and spacious, fully air-conditioned indoor venues for up to 150 people. A bonus is the luxurious Spa and Wellness Centre to ensure that the bridal couple is pampered and relaxed. (lanzerac.co.za)
- Kleine Zalze – With views going on for miles, Kleine Zalze offers a variety of outdoor and indoor venues, allowing couples to create a setting that matches their own style. Kleine Zalze is known for its award winning wines and Terroir restaurant. Guests can stay at Kleine Zalze Lodge - the farm's Cape Dutch style country house and enjoy a lazy game of golf on the estate's green. kleinezalze.co.za
- Lourensford Estate - a 'Jewel among the Winelands' nestled in the fertile basin of the Helderberg Mountains, Lourensford comprises 4,000 hectares of land and has a variety of exciting venues for wedding functions, ranging from the Estate's forest area and lake, the viewing deck next to the Polo Fields, its tasting centre facing the old Cape Dutch buildings or a sleek modern building with views from the majestic mountains to the nearby ocean. (lourensford.co.za)
And once the big day is over, you're in the perfect place for an exciting active honeymoon. Stellenbosch's close proximity to the cosmopolitan delights of Cape Town, one of the world's most fascinating cities, and its central location in the Cape make it a convenient base for an active honeymoon filled with an unmatched diversity of activities – here you can fit city and country, wine and sand, outdoor adventure and wildlife encounters all into one fabulous break.
An oenophile's paradise, Stellenbosch has more than 150 vineyards, fanning out from the quaint university town and both large and small producers offer some of the world's best wine experiences. The vineyards, olive groves and surrounding mountains add up to some spectacular scenery.
Savor the wines of the region at vineyards such as Lourensford, Jordan or Tokara. And make sure to visit the beautiful Jonkershoek Nature Preserve. You can swim, bike, hike, 4x4 through mountains and valleys, horse ride amongst wild game or play golf and you can also hire a guide to lead you along the way. Nearby, one of the prettiest spots is Helshoogte Pass from where you can see Cape Town's Table Mountain in the distance. Stop by and make all of your Instagram friends insanely jealous.
Three romantic honeymoon hideaways in Stellenbosch:
- WedgeView Country House & Spa – this deluxe retreat is where the luxury of a five-star hotel mingles with the exclusivity of a private country residence, framed by vineyards and manicured gardens. Luxurious facilities are combined with idyllic vistas and guests can also relax in a hydro bath or enjoy a professional spa treatment. WedgeView recently launched The Loft which features a spacious Presidential Suite, perfect for a honeymoon retreat. (www.wedgeview.co.za)
- Majeka House – a stylish, 5-star owner-managed boutique hotel just outside the town centre. Coolly modern with touches of the traditional and the ubiquitous view of vineyards and mountains; it offers a spa and swimming pool. Chef Lucas Carstens' style leans towards locally sourced, ingredient-driven food with a sustainable conscience whilst the comprehensive wine list is overseen by a trained sommelier (www.majekahouse.co.za)
- Coopmanhuijs – Coopmanhuijs was built in 1713 as one of the first grand residences in Stellenbosch. It underwent three years of renovations before emerging as the five-star Coopmanhuijs Boutique Hotel & Spa in 2010, offering beautiful accommodations from petite and standard rooms to Manor rooms. The discreet spa is the perfect setting for a spot of relaxation and Helena's Restaurant offers two stunning settings in which to enjoy lunch or dinner (www.coopmanhuijs.co.za)
For more information on the Stellenbosch Experience and inspiration to visit the region, visit www.stellenboschexperience.co.za and keep an eye on #visitStellenbosch
Photo: Delaire Graff Estate, Stellenbosch