The rooftop infinity pool-cuzzi offers peak plane-spotting — and a bar. (Photo by Eric Laignel)
On a roll! The TWA Hotel has been named the United States’ Leading Airport Hotel and New York’s Leading Airport Hotel by the World Travel Awards (WTA) for the fourth time. The accolades were revealed on August 26 at the organization’s annual Caribbean & The Americas Gala Ceremony in Saint Lucia.
The TWA Hotel, which opened in May 2019, has won both awards since 2020. In its 30th year, the World Travel Awards celebrates the best of the tourism industry, from hotels to airlines to tour operators. Travel professionals and the public voted for this year’s winners from April through July 2023.
A blast from the past in the restored landmark 1962 TWA Flight Center, the TWA Hotel exudes the magic of the Sixties with experiential exhibits (a 1962 living room, a Sixties hair salon, a life-size Twister game), a 1958 Lockheed Constellation “Connie” airplane turned cocktail lounge parked on the tarmac, and a period playlist. Guests can plane-spot from the observation deck and infinity pool overlooking Runway 4L/22R; work out in the 10,000-square-foot fitness center; dine at the Paris Café by Jean-Georges; and throw events for up to 1,600 people in the midcentury modern ballrooms. Special details are around every corner, from vintage airline logos on the Solari split-flap arrivals board to custom manhole covers.
The TWA Hotel also recently won two Food & Wine Global Tastemakers Awards: readers ranked it among The Best Hotels for Food in the U.S. and honored the Connie cocktail lounge as one of The Best Hotel Bars in the U.S. Thousands of votes propelled the pool-cuzzi (cool in summer, heated in winter) to the 2023 USA Today 10Best Readers’ Choice Award for Best Hotel Pool. And for its painstaking adaptive reuse of the TWA Flight Center, the hotel earned the American Institute of Architects National Architecture Award, the Urban Land Institute New York Excellence in Hotel Development Award, and the Fast Company 2020 Innovation by Design Award.
The Howard Hughes Suite, named after TWA's former owner, has runway views.
The TWA Hotel features:
• 512 ultra-quiet guestrooms with views of runways and the historic TWA terminal
• 50,000 square feet of meeting and event space that can host up to 1,600 people
• The Paris Café and The Sunken Lounge
• A rooftop infinity pool (heated to 95 degrees or higher in the winter) and observation deck with runway views
• The Pool Bar, a panoramic rooftop bar overlooking the active runways
• A Lockheed Constellation “Connie” L-1649A transformed into a cocktail lounge
• A 10,000-square-foot fitness center, open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
• Immersive museum exhibits on TWA, the Jet Age and the midcentury modern design movement
• A Twister Room, where guests can play a wall-to-wall version of the 1960s game
• Sweet'N Glow Salon, a Sixties salon exhibit
• Camp TWA, an all-ages games experience
• The TWA Shop, offering exclusive apparel and accessories
For more information on the TWA Hotel, please visit twahotel.com.