Jet Set Pet
Family Vacation Packages
Spa & Wellness Packages
Romantic & Honeymoon Packages
Mother's Day Getaways
Beach & Island Resorts
5-Star City Hotels
Adventure & Eco Lodges
Boutique City Hotels
Country House Hotels
Safari Camps & Lodges
Golf Resorts & Lodges
Spa Resorts & Wellness Retreats
Ski Resorts & Lodges
Wine Country Getaways
Hot Hotel Openings
Cruises & Yachting
Private Jet Travel
Bars & Nightclubs
Wine & Spirits
Spa & Wellness Retreats
Beach and Resortwear
Beauty and Fragrance
Luggage and Handbags
Watches & Jewelry
Wine and Spirits
World's Most Expensive
Top 11 Luxury Travel Trends for 2011
January 11, 2011
Luxury Travel Magazine and New York City public relations firm, Abelow PR (abelowpr.com), who counts among their luxury travel brand clients: Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Singapore Airlines, Trump International Hotel and Tower, Virgin Atlantic, Necker Island, and Leela Palaces Hotels and Resorts, among many others, reveal their TOP 11 LUXURY TRAVEL TRENDS FOR 2011:
1. Luxury Resorts in Far Flung Places - New exclusive luxury hotels in off-the-beaten-path destinations such as Hangzhou and Tibet, China; Damascus, Syria; Trancoso, Brazil; Beirut, Lebanon; Luang Prabang, Laos; Montenegro, Colombia, Panama...now allow travelers to escape to the exotic while still enjoying luxurious accommodations and fine food.
2. The Urge to Splurge - After a couple of tough years, the Mendelsohn Affluent Study confirms that spending on travel is up again, especially in the luxury market. According to the motto 'carpe diem' (seize the day), travelers are looking for authentic experiences that are life-changing, while enjoying the luxury of high-end accommodation, great dining and exceptional journeys that go beyond the ordinary.
3. Myanmar (Burma) is Wide Open for Tourism Now - With the release from house arrest of opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, more travelers are seeking to visit this magical place. Frozen in time, Burma remains the last country in Southeast Asia that is almost entirely untouched and is also one of the most devoutly Buddhist countries left on earth.
4. Sri Lanka is hot - Arrivals to the country have increased 36%, and priceless cultural treasures, World Heritage sites, fabulous off-shore islands and superb cuisine await intrepid travelers keen on seeing what has been called one of the most beautiful islands in the world.
5. Book Lover Trips - With book groups all the rage, Asia Transpacific Journeys,
, has organized trips based on books such as a "Beyond the Sky" and "Earth" based in Bhutan.
6. Vow Renewals on the Upswing - This old favorite is returning as the baby boomers approach milestone anniversaries with many wanting to renew their vows in unique locales. An example is a Jewish couple that renewed their vows at a Hindu temple in India.
7. Sabbaticals To Make a Difference - Sabbaticals are an increasingly popular way to re-prioritize and help others, like helping at a literacy program in Laos or a soup kitchen in Delhi.
8. Authentic Travel Experiences - Festivals and holidays provide authentic and eye-opening ways of experiencing a culture, which is exactly what today's travelers are after. Abelow PR's top choices include a local summer festival in the northern Himalaya, and the Tumbuna Sing-Sing in Papua New Guinea.
9. Brazil: Why Wait? - With the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics around the corner, Brazil is on the cusp of exploding, so travelers should get in before the crowds heat up. Beyond famous and beautiul Rio de Janeiro and Amazon River cruises, other exotic experiences await such as the thundering Iguazu Falls, Afro-Brazilian culinary courses and samba lessons, the jet set hot spot of Florianopolis, and stunning new boutique properties on remote beaches such as Trancoso, Bahia are awaiting travelers.
10. Closer to Home - "Utah is the hottest new luxury destination in the U.S. with the recent openings of many high-end hotel brands," says Christine Gray, Editor-in-Chief of Luxury Travel Magazine: Amanresorts' Amangiri near Lake Powell (pictured above), The St. Regis Deer Valley, Montage Deer Valley, and the Waldorf Astoria Park City.
11. New Amanresorts - "One of the most interesting themes in Luxury Travel is speculating about where the new Amanresorts and GHM Hotels are being developed," says Christine Gray, Editor-in-Chief of Luxury Travel Magazine. "These trendsetting luxury brands are indicators of where future luxury resort development will occur. For example, Porto Heli, Greece (an area compared to the Hamptons in New York) will be a hot spot in 2011/2012 with the opening of both an Amanresort and a GHM managed hotel."
Luxury Travel Magazine has uncovered more of these "top secret" destinations that include: Amanresorts in Portugal's Douro Valley wine region, on the island of Nevis in the Caribbean, Playa Grande in the Dominican Republic, Paraty Brazil, Cavtat Croatia, Pulau Besar in Malaysia, and Shanghai, China. GHM Hotel development includes: The Nizuc, Riviera Maya, Mexico; The Malkai, Barka, Oman; The Chedi, Kilada Hills, Greece; The Chedi, Thracian Cliffs, Cape Kaliakra, Bulgaria; The Chedi, Andermatt, Switzerland; and The Chedi, Taiping Lake, Anhui Province, China.
Photo: Amanresorts' Amangiri in Utah
Sign-up for Our Email Newsletter
FIND A LUXURY HOTEL & BOOK WITH EXCLUSIVE PERKS!
Antigua & Barbuda
British Virgin Islands
Papua New Guinea
St Vincent & the Grenadines
St. Kitts & Nevis
Turks & Caicos
U.S. Virgin Islands
United Arab Emirates
Food & Wine
Shopping & Fashion
Spa & Wellness
Wineries / Wine Tasting
Aman Resorts - Luxury resorts, hotels and private residences in awe-inspiring locations around the world
Rancho Valencia Resort & Spa - Rancho Santa Fe, California - One of the West’s most sought-after five star resorts
Hacienda AltaGracia, Auberge Resorts Collection - Costa Rica
El Encanto, A Belmond Hotel - Santa Barbara, California - Experience timeless Californian glamor.
Come Together Wellness - Rest, Restore & Explore on Kauai
The Ranch Italy at Palazzo Fiuggi - The Ranch Malibu brings its award winning wellness program just 50 minutes from Rome.
VOYAGES MAGAZINE - Cruising the World in Style
Trump International Hotel Waikiki - Five-star amenities steps from the beach
Red Savannah: Luxury Villas and Tailor-Made Holidays
The Luxury of Simplicity in Japan: Exceptional Resorts in Tochigi’s Nikko Area
The Kayon Jungle Resort - Ubud, Bali, Indonesia - a sanctuary of tropical indulgence.
JUP - Personal Service for Buying and Selling Real Estate in Jupiter, Florida
Fairmont Le Château Frontenac - Quebec City, Canada - Breathtaking views of the St. Lawrence River and the UNESCO Old fortified city
Hotel Saint James - Paris, France - Relais & Chateaux - The only chateau-hotel in Paris, an architectural jewel tucked away in the 16th.
Relais Christine - Paris, France - Relais & Chateaux - A secret, tranquil world in the heart of Paris' Left Bank
Grand Hyatt Kauai Resort & Spa - Poipu, Kauai, Hawaii - Beachfront Resort
Silversea - Experience All-Inclusive Ultra-Luxury Cruises
1900 Inn on Montford - a historic, four-diamond bed and breakfast nestled in the heart of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Asheville, North Carolina
CordeValle - A luxury retreat in a picturesque setting in the foothills of the Santa Cruz Mountains of Northern California
JW Marriott The Rosseau Muskoka Resort & Spa - Lakeside retreat 2-1/2 hours north of Toronto
Porto Zante Villas & Spa - Zakynthos, Greece - The leading villa resort in Europe
Argentario Golf & Wellness Resort - Porto Ercole, Tuscany, Italy
A.M.A Selections - Luxury Villa Rentals throughout Europe
Grand Hotel Portovenere - Cinque Terre - Discover this beautiful region of Italy!
The St. Regis Deer Valley - Park City, Utah - Exhilarating activities in the summer and the winter
Home in Italy: The Finest Collection of Luxury Villas Since 1994
Dude Ranchers Association - An all-inclusive vacation experience like no other
Luxo Italia - Curated Luxury Travel in Italy
Luxury Camp - Italy - On the beach a half hour from Venice's historic center